As marketers, business people, developers, innovators, bloggers, parents and creatives we have to be on top of our game in order to stay ahead. Technology is always changing the way we communicate. We have to be fast thinkers in this instant world that we live in.
I enjoy watching Ellen DeGeneres whenever I need a good belly laugh. I came across this video with Ellen and Rebel Wilson the other day and thought it was a fun example of how in marketing or in life we can fall into situations where we need to do a little improvisation as well. I have also come up with a few ideas to share about how we can stimulate our creativity when we run into a block.
10 Ideas on How to Stimulate Creativity
- Watch a new movie. I find that whenever I watch a good movie I walk away inspired. Inspiration can come from the setting the movie was filmed in or the music they used or the characters’ stories and adventures.
- Listen to music. Listening to music is another great way to stimulate your creativity. Like watching a movie it can put you in a certain mood. I love to listen to ambient music whenever I need to get something done.
- Sleep a lot or sleep a little. I’m sure you hear all the time that a good night sleep is integral to productivity and creativity. But interestingly enough, lack of sleep can bring about all kinds of creative ideas.
- Exercise is a stress reliever. Releasing stress can free up your mind so that you can get down to business.
- Have a brainstorm session with your team. Writing down thoughts and ideas with others will bring on new perspectives.
- Reading is like exercise for your brain. The more you read the easier it will be to stimulate creativity.
- Take a break and allow your mind to daydream. Sometimes we have too many distractions and our minds can’t wonder.
- Have a good laugh. A good laugh is a great way to release negative energy so that you can be more creative.
- Try doing something new. Go out to the mall and see what’s new, go to a museum or find a change of scenery.
- Finally go with your gut. There are so many more things you can do to be more creative but don’t doubt what your heart is saying. Follow your gut and who knows what will come about.
When you need to market something how do you stimulate your creativity? When are you the most creative? Give an example of a situation where you had to use improvisation.